Subtitle

{re-thinking, re-learning & re-creating the food that we love}

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer Yumminess: Strawberry Shortcake with Strawberry Coconut Whipped Frosting

I promise we don't just eat sweet things at our house! :) I have a list of awesome dinners waiting to be blogged about, but last night, this was on our table and I have to share about it:
I found this Basic Shortcake Recipe through Pinterest and loved how simple and versatile it sounded! You can make this cake with any kind of berry, even mixed into the batter. There's an apple version with apple slices baked on the top of the cake which sounds perfect for the cold months! And as always, it's completely dairy, grain and sugar-free.

Then I found this Strawberry Whipped Frosting Recipe that also sounded super easy, and not being a huge fan of plain whipped cream, I decided to use this for my shortcake instead. Mine didn't firm up as much as the photos on that site look, but perhaps I didn't beat it long enough. I had a hungry bunch waiting for me to finish making the cake but even in it's runny consistency, it tasted amazing! (Note: they add beet juice for color, but even without it, mine still had a pinkish tint to it.)

It was a great success! And the best thing about Paleo desserts is that with all those good, healthy ingredients, the kids (and the mom) ate the leftovers for lunch the next day! :) Shhh!

So easy, even my 3-year-old helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment